something up to date
2. someone a compliment
3. something priority
4. a move to do something
5. someone good
6. people at their ease
7. something seriously
8. something down to experience
Now complete the following sentences with an expression from the
1. I prefer our new boss
to the old one. I feel relaxed and comfortable talking to
her and she's very approachable. She really knows how to
2. A student told me I was charming, kind and attractive
this morning and I got really embarrassed. I'm not used to
3. It was a mistake to rent such a big office. The business
is not growing as fast as we predicted and it's costing us
too much money. I think we should cut our losses, move into
a smaller place and .
4. We have 17 projects on our list, which is obviously far
too many. We need to
to the most important ones and put the others on hold.
5. I don't think you've
the data base
. The last entry was
on March 15th!
6. You've been working so hard lately darling. Let me clean
the flat, do the shopping and cook dinner today. You should
go to the spa and relax for a couple of hours. It'll
7. Peter put a frog under the bosses chair today. Life's
just one big joke to him. He never
8. Have you heard that Microsoft have
They're going to call the new company 'Microtweet'
Match the phrases to form some popular English idioms.
1. Love at
2. Man cannot live by
3. Many hands
4. More haste,
5. Necessity is the
6. No pain,
Choose the best word or phrase to complete the sentence.
1. Perhaps it's OK to tell
a few occasionally to avoid difficult or unpleasant
situations, but it’s totally wrong to tell the blatant lies
you do all the time.
2. He lied so convincingly that I was completely
and believed everything he said.
3. It wasn't the Prime Minister who opened the airport, but
4. He wasn't really angry, he was just
so that the children would behave a little better.
5. Hundreds of young women who applied to the online
modelling website snapme.com found that they were victims of
a cruel last week when they discovered that the company
did not exist.
6. The police advised tenants to ask for identification from
any unsolicited tradesmen calling at their house, as a
number of are known to be active in the area.
7. Although the evidence sounded convincing, it turned out
to be a complete
8. Footballers are often not really hurt - they are
it on so that the referee will give them a free