1. A sauce added to a
2. A main dish
3. An adjective to describe meat that has been cooked a lot
4. Layers of alcohol-soaked sponge cake with fruit, custard
and whipped cream
5. A small dish at the start of a meal
6. A small herb, like an onion, added to potatoes, for
7. An adjective to describe meat that has been cooked very
little (pink and bloody)
8. A kind of soup usually containing fish and vegetables
Choose the best word to complete the following food idioms.
1. Don't believe him. I
take everything he says with a pinch of
2. Giving up alcohol and going on this high fibre diet has
given me a lot of energy. I feel full of
3. Thelma doesn’t stop talking about her son, the doctor.
He's the of her eye.
4. I love this new duvet. It keeps my feet as warm as
5. He does literally everything his boss asks him. He knows
which side his is buttered.
6. Let me take one more photo. Come closer together and
smile. Say .
7. Hymen wants a job with a decent salary. He’s not going to
work for .
8. Trina Forest’s latest mp3 download is really popular.
It's selling like hot .
9. May and Ann go everywhere together and they even wear the
same clothes. They're like two in a pod.
10. Look at Jason over there in his BMW sports car and his
Ray Ban sunglasses. He looks as cool as a
, even in this heat.
11. Asking John to arrange a party is just a
for disaster. He's so disorganised.
12. I’d rather find a nice hotel. I don’t like camping.
Sleeping on the floor in a tent just isn't my cup of
Choose the best word or phrase to complete each sentence.
1. Are you feeling ok? I know you’ve been
working really hard lately and you look a bit
2. I fell over playing football last week and felt a sharp
in my knee.
3. My girlfriend is red and green peppers.
4. The World Formula One Grand Prix champion was
in a crash yesterday.
5. It has been scientific proven that smoking
6. When I bend down and stand up quickly, the blood rushes to my head
and I feel .
7. I cut myself with broken glass and I had to have
8. Please let’s sit down for a while and have a rest. We’ve been walking
for hours and I’ve got on my feet.
9. The neighbour’s little boy fell out of a tree and was taken to
hospital with a shoulder.
10. I think I’m allergic to this new washing powder. I’ve got
all over my body.
Put the verbs in the correct tense to complete the sentences.
next weekend? Anything special?
2. If I know
you were coming to visit, I wouldn’t have gone out.
3. I hope you have a fantastic time in Las Vegas next week.
I'll see you when you
4. This time next week you and I
on a beach in Hawaii with a good book and a cocktail.
5. I'm planning to retire before 65. I hope that I
enough money to stop working by the time I'm 55.
6. The telephone rang, but I
so I didn't answer it.
7. When I smelled his breath, I knew immediately that he
and I suggested that he give me his car keys.
8. This is the best chocolate cake I
Can we come
back again this afternoon for another piece?