Choose the correct colour
idiom to complete the sentences.
1. I know we've agreed the
terms and conditions on the phone, but I really need
something in so that I can talk to the board of directors. Can
you send me a confirmation email of everything we talked
2. Although I live near the beach, I only ever go swimming
. I hate the sand and I'm sure the water's
3. My mate John's just bought a gorgeous new Android phone
4. My parents were both workers. My dad was a bank manager and my mum was
the personal secretary to the managing director of an
5. The day I graduated from university was
for me. I'll never forget it. It marked the end of
one chapter and the beginning of a successful career.
6. I didn't want to get my brother into trouble so I told
to my parents.
Grammar - Sentence Transformations Take the information in the first sentence and re-write it, using the
word in capital so that the second sentence has a similar meaning. You
cannot change the word in bold. Write between 3 and 5 words in the space
including the word in capital. Follow the example.
Example: "If I were you, I
would just ignore dad's advice," Dave told his sister.
Dave advised his sister
their dad's advice.
1. If you have a dish washer, washing plates and cutlery by
hand is unnecessary.
Having a dish washer
wash plates and
cutlery by hand.
2. Samantha didn’t even try to discover who had stolen her
Samantha out who
had stolen her wedding ring.
3. I would like to say that we weren't satisfied with how
the tour operator treated us.
I wish to the poor
service we received from the tour operator.
4. We fully intend to expand into South and Central America
if we get this contract.
We into South and
Central America if we get this contract.
5. “Will you drive me to the airport, please,” Rachel asked
Rachel asked me if
to the airport.
6. My boss doesn’t like it when we arrive at our weekly
My boss arriving
late at our weekly meetings.
7. You really should be more careful how you look.
It’s about time you
8. I'm not a bit like my father.
Match the animal part with
the animal it belongs to.
3. antennae / feelers
Complete the following sentences by writing the correct animal part
from the previous exercise in the gaps.
is the soft foot
of a mammal, generally a quadruped, that has claws or nails.
2. Fish have to
help them swim and change direction.
3. A is a pointed
projection of the skin on the head of various animals like
bulls and rhinos. Deer, caribou, antelope and moose have
4. Adult elephants have
on either side of
their mouths. They are made of ivory.
5. are elongated,
continuously growing front teeth, usually but not always in
pairs, that protrude well beyond the mouth of certain mammal
species like elephants and walruses.
6. A is the hair
that grows around the neck of animals like horses and male
lions. A lioness doesn't have one.
7. A is a curved,
pointed appendage, found at the end of a toe or finger in
most mammals and reptiles, including birds.
8. Insects have or
. They use them to
sense things by touch or to search for food.
9. One or two? All
camels have . A
dromedary camel has only one, but a Bactrian camel has two.