Common Collocations Choose the best verb (have, make, take or do) to complete the
2. a grudge (against s.o.)
3. a mockery
4. (some) harm
5. a stop
6. a fortune
7. the lead
9. a model
Now read the following sentences and complete them with a collocation
from the previous exercise. Follow the example.
Example: Before we go
ahead and put the project together, I think we should
of the robot to make sure it's going to work.
1. Damn! I forgot to buy milk and bread this morning. Can we
at the supermarket
on the way home? It'll only take a minute.
2. Bart really
in his end of year
exams. I think we should buy him that new iPod he's been
3. Alonso half way
through the race and won the Grand Prix in record time.
4. Five tourists were
by terrorists in
Cairo this morning as they left their hotel. As yet, there
has been no ransom demands made by the terrorists.
5. When I graduate from medical school, I would like to
into trying to
find a cure for cancer.
6. Some clever app developers are
successful applications for mobile phones.
7. The judge said that Mr. Samuels was a drug addict who had
intended to to
8. The fact that he sent his children to private school
of his socialist
Match the phrases to form some popular English idioms.
1. Any port ...
2. Every dog ...
3. Different strokes ...
4. Great minds ...
5. Fools rush in ...
6. He who pays the piper ... about absolutely everything.
Choose a word to complete the following expressions.
1. We are going to reply
personally to and every one of you.
2. I've been checking things off the list
by one and now I think I've done everything.
3. The quality of the podcasts from La Mansión del Inglés is
second to , and I've downloaded single one of them.
4. We've got an awful to do and precious time to do it in, so let's get started now.
5. You can study online or go to a language academy. Either
, I'm sure you'll improve your English.
6. I had to wait ages to see the specialist, so I made the
of my time by listening to English podcasts.
7.It's going to be a good months until I have the money to go to London.
8. too often I get students in my class who just
don't have the level to pass the exam.