Complete the following sentences by writing the correct animal part
from the previous exercise in the gaps.
1. Tortoises, turtles and
snails have for
protection against predators.
2. When the joey is born it crawls from inside the mother to
the , a fold of
skin with a single opening that covers the nipples to
protect the joey as it continues to develop.
3. Octopuses, squid and cuttlefish have
. The octopus has
4. are elongated,
continuously growing front teeth, usually but not always in
pairs, that protrude well beyond the mouth of certain mammal
species like elephants.
5. The skin of most types of fish is covered by
6. The , is used by
birds for eating, grooming, manipulating objects, killing
prey, fighting, probing for food, courtship and feeding
7. Cats, lions, mice, foxes and many other mammals and
primates (except humans) have
at the side of
their mouths for tactile sensation.
8. Horses, sheep, goats, deer and cattle all have
at the end of
their feet. They grow continuously and a worn down when the
animal walks or runs.
Choose the correct colour idiom to complete the sentences.
1. In Spain there are a
lot of formalities and form-filling when you deal with a
government office. There's so much
2. My sisters got married and settled down when they were
young, but I was the of the family. I travelled around the world for
years selling jewellery and working in agriculture.
3. I was sitting at home watching TV when there was a knock
at the door and my old school friend Roger turned up right
. We hadn't seen each other for 15 years.
4. Pepito came home from work early and caught the thieves
as they were stealing his new HD TV.
5. That company is in really bad shape. It's
and owes the bank a lot of money.
6. My sister loves gardening and she's got
. She's very good at growing plants and flowers.
Gerunds and Infinitives - Sentence
completion Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the
first. Use the word in bold. Follow the example.
Example: He won't have
any contact with his ex-wife. do
He refuses to have anything to do with his ex-wife.
- 1. The police pulled him over because he didn't stop at a
red light. failing
He was at a red
- 2. "I haven't spoken to Juan about postponing the
meeting," said Pablo. putting
Pablo denied the
- 3. I would advise you against walking across that park
after dark. recommend
I across that park
- 4. "Wouldn't it be a good idea to not cook so much food?"
said Sandra. down
- 5. If you don't improve your attitude to the customers, I
will be obliged to terminate your contract. redundant
I will have no choice
you improve your
attitude to the customers.