1. Physicists have been
a series of experiments to find the Higgs boson
2. This job won’t to you unless you enjoy travelling and spending
long periods away from home.
3. If you intend to take the company to court, you should
first of all legal advice.
4. One thing I really love about my job is that I have
plenty of to travel.
5. Pepito’s son is under a lot of pressure from other
teenagers in his group to wear the same clothes.
6. The news that we had lost the contract wasn’t
unexpected considering the drop in the quality of
our customer service last year.
7. She was hired on the of her qualifications and her experience.
8. Pepito is used to doing business in Spain. It’s difficult
for him to to working in the North American market.
Verb Tenses Choose the best answer to complete the sentences.
1. You’d expect Pepito to
be looking tired because really hard for the last month and a half.
2. We left the hotel after lunch and fortunately the rain
3. When I was a child we used to go on holiday to Scotland
every year. I think we to Edinburgh seven times.
4. around this area hundreds of times. I know it like
the back of my hand.
5. I think people work much harder in the past than they do these
6. We in the sun for about five hours with no water, by
which time we very dehydrated and quite ill.
7. Pepito beer all day, so it wasn’t surprising that he
threw up in the car.
8. So much smoke from our balcony all afternoon that eventually we
had to tell our neighbours that we
a barbeque and that they were all invited.
Vocabulary. GIVE, DO and MAKE Choose the best word for each sentence and write it in the correct
1. I’ll meet you in the
café. I’ve just got to
a quick phone call
before I leave the office.
2. Despite her
best, I’m afraid Julia just doesn’t have what it takes to be
part of our team. She sat through the entire meeting without
a single suggestion.
3. If you’re not totally satisfied with our product, we’ll
you a full refund.
4. Peptito a
wonderful speech at his wedding last weekend.
5. After graduating, I spent a year
research in Buenos
6. If you’d be so kind as to
me the details,
I’ll make sure the message gets passed on to the director.
7. Our boss has been
quite a few
changes in the way the company is run.
8. It wouldn’t you
any harm to get out in the fresh air once in a while.
9. I was convinced that you wouldn’t want to see me again
because the last time we met you
me the impression
that you didn’t like me very much.
10.I don’t think we should fire her yet. Let’s
her one last
chance to show us what she’s capable of.
What do you say? Choose the best answer to the following comments.
1) Did you know that your
son and my daughter travelled around India together when
they were teenagers?
It's up to you.
It'll come out
in the wash. I've
a good mind to. Fancy
2) My boss wouldn't let me take any more days off this year.
I've already had my holiday allowance and 16 sick days.
It's your round!
don't blame you. Suit
3) I think it's going to rain, isn't it?
Well I never!
Looks like it.
Until the cows
come home. So
4) I don't believe you've eaten that last slice of pizza. I
was counting on that for my dinner!
It's up to you.
How was I to
know? You dare!
5) There's a bus and train strike today, but I've asked my
dad to pick us up after the concert.
Just in case.
Just as well.
Just our luck!
Just for kicks.
6) If you don't want to come to Paris with me, I'll just
have to find someone who does!
I'll see to it.
I could do with
one. Don't ask