Listen and repeat the following words ending in –ed.
Notice the different sounds at the end of the words.
/ d /
/ t /
/ id /
Adjectives ending in ...ed and ..ing
To express how you feel or your feelings about something or someone use .....ed
To express what something or someone is like use ....ing
Examples: The lesson was boring and we were all totally bored (by the
Everyone was frightened. The film was really frightening.
Write an adjective ending in "...ed"
or "...ing" in the spaces.
1. Did you see the Brazilian Grand Prix? It was
2. She was absolutely to have been
given a promotion. (thrill)
3. You’re looking very after your
sailing holiday! (relax)
4. We were very to hear nobody had
been hurt in the accident. (relieve)
5. The effects of climate change are very
6. I’ve had such a day all I want to
do is have a shower and relax. (tire)
7. They cooked a meal which looked and smelled
8. I can’t understand how you can get so
over a silly computer game. (excite)
9. She’s the most person I’ve ever
met. All she talks about is her job. (bore)
10. We were when we found out how
much the meal had cost. (amaze).
The following words can easily be
confused. Complete the sentences by using a suitable word.
only / sense / instead
apart / sensitive / except
1. Samantha is very
. She’s easily offended and always
cries during sad films.
2. Angeles eats anything peppers.
She’s allergic to red and green peppers.
3. from drinking beer and laying on
the beach, what other things do you do on holiday?
4. Samantha decided to do something
useful with her life. She went to university and studied medicine.
5. Pepito spends his salary before the end of the month, pays his bills late and
wastes money on drinking and gambling. He isn’t very
6. There’s no in waiting forever. If
he’s more than an hour late, he’s probably not coming!
7. of using my car, why don’t we go
in your Porsche?
Choose the best word for each
sentence. Follow the example.
Example: Samantha isn’t stupid.
she’s very clever and she’s studying physics at London University.
1. When I woke up, everything was , just like any other day. Then I saw the plane tickets on the kitchen
2. When Maria threw her drink in my face, I realised that my chances of kissing
her were destroyed.
3. A new government in the Middle East could provide a
opportunity for peace.
4. When Baghdad was bombed many civilians were killed and
5. This milk tastes . You shouldn’t leave it out of the fridge in this hot weather.
6. Is 11 o’clock a time to come and see you tomorrow morning?
7. This chair is lovely and . I could go right off to sleep.